The people make the decision to consider back surgery after trying nonsurgical treatment options. However, when the pain is persistent and it is related to a mechanical problem in the spine then you need to speak to your specialist about having the spinal surgery. The spine surgeons perform back surgery so that you get the relief that has been associated with pain or numbness which goes down one or both of your arms or legs.
These are the symptoms which often caused by compressed nerves in your spine. Nerves may become compressed for several reasons which include:
- Disc Problems: Disc problems such as bulging or herniated disc in which the rubbery cushions will separate your spine bones and sometimes they pressed too tightly against your spinal nerve which affects the functioning of your spine.
- Overgrowth of bone: Bone spurs on your spine can result through Osteoarthritis. This excess bone can affect your hinge joints which are on the back part of your spinal column and it can also narrow the amount of space which is available for nerves to pass through openings in your spine.
Non-Surgical treatments to treat Spinal problems
To treat your spinal problems you need to try non-surgical treatments before undergoing for surgery and these treatments are as follows:
a) Apply hot and cold packs: In the early stage of your back pain, the spine surgeons will suggest applying hot and cold packs as ice can numb the pain and ease the injured tissues. After a few days, you can apply heat packs which will provide more comfort, the blood will start flowing in the injured area, and it will reduce stiffness.
b) Physically active: You can take short periods of bed rest or sitting which is helpful during your early stage of back pain, however, extended bed rest is not allowed. Try to keep moving as much as you can manage because the movement will help to keep you resume your normal routine.
c) Take pain killers: Your spine surgeon will recommend you to take over-the-counter pain killers which ease discomfort and reduces inflammation. Your spine surgeon will prescribe some anti-inflammatory pain relievers such as ibuprofen, naproxen or aspirin.
d) Stretch and strengthening exercises: Your spine surgeon will ask you to do stretching and strengthening exercises for the intense pain. You should ask your surgeon or a physical therapist for detailed guidance.
e) Wait: According to the study, sometimes your back pain gets better on its own. But if you experience serve pain and you didn’t get relief within one or two days and also if you experience the back pain symptoms such as fever or loss of bowel or bladder control then it’s a time to meet the spinal surgeon and get the best treatment to cure your spinal problems.
Surgical Treatments to treat Spinal Problems
To treat your spinal condition, the hospitals under Spine Surgery India have a variety of procedures which are as follows:
a) Spinal Fusion: Spinal fusion is a procedure which permanently connects your two or more bones in the spine. This is a procedure which can relieve pain by adding stability to a spinal fracture and also it is used to eliminate painful motion between the vertebrae that can result from a degenerated or injured disc.
b) Discectomy: This is a spinal procedure in which your spine surgeon will remove the part of the herniated disc to relieve irritation and inflammation of a nerve. Discectomy is a procedure which involves the removal of the full or partial back portion of a vertebra so that your spine surgeon will access the herniated disc.
c) Laminectomy: This is a procedure in which your spine surgeon will remove the bone which is overlying your spinal canal. In this procedure, your spinal canal gets enlarged and your spine surgeon will perform this procedure to relieve nerve pressure that has been caused by spinal stenosis.
d) Artificial disc: The spine surgeons will implant the artificial discs which are an alternative treatment to spinal fusion for painful movement between two vertebrae due to a degenerated or injured disc. This is a new device which is not an option for most of the people.
What can be the reasons to have back surgery?
The following can be the reason to have back surgery and these are:
- The reason to have back surgery if your slipped disc is not getting better on its own.
- If bone spurs in your spine which are often caused by arthritis and they are putting pressure on your spinal cord, in such case you need the back surgery to get relief from pain.
- If you experience a degenerative spinal condition like stenosis which is narrowing the protective bony canal around your spinal cord which can cause the side effects, like weakness.
- If you feel weakness or numbness in your arms and legs, in such cases the spine surgeons at Spine Surgery India will suggest you have back surgery.
- If you face difficulties while walking or using your hands.
- If you have lost bladder or bowel control because of a problem with the nerves located in your back.
- If you experience the spinal infection or high fever with back pain, this can be a sign of spinal infection and you need spinal surgery to protect your spine.
- If you have a broken or dislocated bone in your back.
- If your spine surgeon fined a tumor on your spinal cord then they suggest the spine surgery.
At the hospitals under Spine Surgery India, the spine surgeons will not suggest surgery as the first option. They will recommend you to try other treatments like you can take spinal injections or physical therapy to cure pain. Also, they recommend the imaging tests to make a diagnosis to clarify whether surgery will help you to get rid out of pain or non-surgical treatments are better.
In case, you have a serious spinal injury only then the spine surgeons at Spine Surgery India will recommend back surgery when other non-surgical treatments are failed.